Womble goes to Oz

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day 9 and it's a new month already

Stayed in bed a while this morning. Something to do with Cath keeping me up late talking and the intake of some beer. I'd been thinking though, that I've been out and about every day so a little rest was not a bad thing. Not that calm, peaceful dozing is easy: the working roomy gets up first; then the non-speaking, go-to-bed early couple from Blackpool; then the bin is emptied; and finally the hoovering happens. I persevered though :-)

After brunch, I actually really managed to get to the Powerhouse Museum. The one that's been on my list for days. And well worth it it was too! There's an exhibition of the Great Wall(s) of China (I didn't know it wasn't just one wall) which was excellent. The rest of the place is pretty damn fine too. I think it's a former power station of some sort, hence the name. So the building is huge and well used, although the layout - or is it the signage - is a bit confusing. It's kind of like the Science Museum in London. It comes top of my visited museums list! (Dog, I sound boring.)

So I did more wandering about on the way back to the hostel. Had my late afternoon coffee and cake on Darling Harbour, glaring at a pigeon who was looking at me and my Rocky Road Pie. There were pigeons in the hostel this morning, looking around. Bliddy things. There are lots of parks in the middle of Sydney, some of them fairly small, but they all have their reason for being. There are monuments and gardens and all sorts. Last night on the way back from the play, I was walking through one park and a brush-tailed possum walked right in front of me! Like a rather large squirrel with a pointy nose and huge round black eyes. Really cute!

I've downloaded photos again, so there are some new ones. I still haven't rejoined battle with the kodak cd though. I thought I'd do another theme, so this time it's "Signs". You can see I'm not trying to compete on the travel blog front :D


Belying the rumours about Australian men and their child-rearing tendencies!


To prove that it is here! Yawn. I haven't seen Jeremy Clarkson.

Not a sign as such, more a time-capsule from the Queen to the people of Sydney to be opened in 2085. They're not all republicans here.

From the lift at the Sydney Tower where I went on Sunday. It's high.

Jolly friendly these Australian gardeners and park keepers!

So if you slow down you can run the bandicoots over more slowly....

This would be better on a cul-de-sac don't you think?

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home