Womble goes to Oz

Friday, November 10, 2006

Day 18 Art and the last day in Melbourne for a while

Quick chat with Miss Caff and then I was off, into town, with strict instructions to be back by 4pm. During the course of the journey my destination changed from the Melbourne Gaol (see where Ned Kelly was hanged) to the National Gallery of Victoria. Unfortunately, I still got off the tram for the Gaol, which entailed me having a 'doh' moment and catching another tram to get back on the right path again! One thing Sarah did for me before I arrived was to buy a 'Metcard' - a weekly season ticket for the trams (possibly the buses too but I never tried). It only costs about 11 pounds and zone 1 covers everywhere I've been.

The NGV was good. I'd managed to avoid pictorial culture in Sydney which is why I thought I'd better take some in here! The bit I found interesting was the old paintings of the country when the European settlers had only just arrived. Seeing how the towns were growing. Also how the landscape seemed to be verdant compared to now. I wonder if it really was that different. In which case all they say about forest clearance and the impact of introduced sheep and cattle can only be sadly true. I also had my usual reaction to art galleries after a while: "what is art and how is it distinguished from what a three year old chimpanzee can produce?". For once, I left before the place closed :D

I thought I'd given myself plenty of time to get back but the tram was seemingly on a go-slow, not sure how they do that. There must be a queue further back down the tracks somewhere. Anyway, arrived with about two seconds to spare. My deadline was so as to make sure we didn't hit too much Friday traffic (the same here as anywhere else) on the way to see Lauren, the youngest sister. Lauren has just finished her first year at university and lives in south east Melbourne whereas Sarah lives in north west Melbourne. Of the daughters, she's the one I've spent most time with as she came over with Paul to stay with me two years ago.

It was great to catch up. The three of us had early dinner at an Italian place nearby where I came across the most amazingly sized piece of 'Toblerone cheesecake'. Yes, I know, not a combination I'd come across before but it was yummy and HUGE. The vegetarian lasagne wasn't bad either. Then we went to the university for an end of degree art show, including some works by Lauren's house mates. There was the usual mix of pretty good, ok, not so wonderful and the occasional really excellent pieces of work. All being admired by anxious students and proud friends and family. And the odd interloper. So a day of art for me!

We made our way back and I had to pack. Having said my goodbyes and thank yous to Sarah first though. She's working again at 4, so I won't see her in the morning when I leave. She's been really great, looking after me. I'll see her again in a few weeks when I'm back in Victoria with Paul.




Lauren and Sarah.










Next stop, Adelaide! Where, of course, I don't know what the internet access arrangements will be. So don't worry, I'll be back at some point!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home