Womble goes to Oz

Monday, November 13, 2006

Day 20 Life's a beach - Sunday 12 November

And then you fry :D

Initially, it didn't seem the brightest idea to go to the seaside the day after a massive storm when the skies were still grey. However, I got up nice and 'early' and caught the 'historic' but strangely modern tram to Glenelg, which is about 10km away from Adelaide. Took a few photos, walked down the jetty/pier, took more photos. This chap asked if I'd like him to take a picture of me. Now isn't that nice? To realise that someone on their own might like a photo of themself?

Back off the jetty, I went to Glenelg's "Most exciting attraction" the Rodney Fox Shark Experience. This chap was munched quite badly by a Great White and was incredibly lucky to survive. After that he became a convert to the shark cause and dedicated his life to finding out more about them, promoting the cause of shark conservation and so on. The 'experience' was like someone's personal collection of memorabilia along with some reasonably researched information. Great fun and interesting. Did you know that there was some wonderful cheating in the filming of Jaws to help make the sharks look bigger? He was an adviser to the film makers. It was one of those places that just made me smile. Right next door was the Bay Centre (I've forgotten the exact name). In the Town Hall, it's a museum about the origins of Adelaide. It was fascinating. Some English chap was told to go and survey the coast, find a suitable place to establish a city and then draw up the plans. He had to consult with certain government people but had the final say. This meant if anything went wrong it was his fault! What a thankless task. He resigned in the end.

For lunch I found somewhere that did a veggie burger! My first of the holiday! Having refuelled (I remembered why I booked the hostel that I did, they do pancakes for breakfast :D) I followed my hobby of looking at outdoors art. In Adelaide, they commissioned a series of works for installation along the promenade. So I took lots of photos. At one point I wandered out onto the beach, dipped my toes in the ocean - whichever one it is - looked at what I think were some comorants, and generally enjoyed myself. So civilised, I washed the sand off my feet and continued on my way, following the sound of live music.

The music was Andy and the Rockets (or something like that) and I'd come across the Adelaide RnR Festival. Hilarious! Out in the open air people were dancing, in their brothel creeper shoes, black shirts, cowboy hats, twirly skirts, ankle white socks.... And the area was all marked out. Around the main square on the grass, everyone had brought their 'tent on legs'. They were all neatly arranged next to each other, and underneath were these ageing rockers in their camping chairs, with their eskies of beer. I even saw someone knitting! And beyond the tent village were loads of vintage American cars. Yet more photo opportunities. There were a few of the normal festival shopping opportunities but not joss sticks and African drums. No, now I know where to buy a twirly skirt and RnR dance shoes and a big buckle for a belt :D So lots more smiling and enjoying the moment. And some wonderful ice cream at only $2.50.

Did my tourist dawdle up the main street and remembered to do some grocery shopping. Unfortunately, the supermarkets don't stay open so late here as they do in Sydney and Melbourne. I was enjoying the day and the place, so dragged my now full day pack along the prom in the other direction. Watching families enjoying the beach - it was by now a glorious day and had been since mid-morning - the sea, the birds and so on. I finished off back in the main bit, having a beer or two, writing my postcards thinking what a lovely day I'd had.

I had one of those 'makes you think' moments at the pub. I'd tagged on to a table where a young couple were sitting. I wanted to go and get a second drink without lugging my rucsac in with me. I asked if it were ok to leave it there with them, joking about exploding bread. I realised that they would think I was asking so it didn't get stolen, not that it would explode. Different perspectives and experiences, hmm.

Finally back at the hostel, I plonked in front of the tv again. Watched this absolutely silly film 'Van Helsing', I'd never even heard of it before. Tee hee.

Now it's Monday morning, and when I've finished here I'll book a couple of trips - including the home of the best Australian chocolate - and bugger off out.

G'day.....

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home