Womble goes to Oz

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Day 21 Monday 13 November - 3 weeks already?

Crumbs!

The internet was working again so spent some time doing the blog, as you'll have noticed and chatting to a certain person... when does she sleep? Ho ho. Booked the chocolate tour - which is this morning - and a two night trip to Kangaroo Island - lots of wildlife. So, I'm off from Wednesday afternoon returning Friday morning probably without access to you lot. You'll cope ;o)

Did lots more walking about. The main bit of the city is compact and on a grid, so dead easy to get about. I went to the South Australia Art Gallery. This was excellent. Not only lots of Australian works but also some pieces by famous people too, like Rodin, Toulouse-Lautrec, Picasso and errrmmm other ones. (Oh dear, that makes it sound like there aren't any famous Australian artists. Blame my ignorance on that score.) My favourites were modern. A sense of humour in the display cabinet of tupperware containers with silver mesh appendages to look like a nature diorama in a museum. Very clever! And an enormous wall hanging on a frame of twigs and branches, on bark (I think) with layers of sand coloured with ochre. Very 'me' in the earthy colours and textures, which you'll appreciate if you've seen my house and the 'art' collection there!

From there, I went to a contemporary gallery and studio place called the Jam Factory. Disappointingly, the galleries were shut, being rearranged for a new exhibition. The shop was ok, with good glass but quite 'safe' ceramics. Apart from one work, a tree with hundreds of figures of Australian flora and fauna all over it. I took photos but won't be able to post them for a while. The ladies there directed me to the Light Square Gallery where a degree show was being assembled. So much more imagination than at the shop. It was a very good exhibition for the students. Photography, clayworks, jewellery (you can't get away from it), paintings (a set here just made me smile) and a superb 'modern family'. It was depicted by means of one of those push out plastic kits in a frame that you then clip all the bits together. I hope I've made that clear.... Very clever idea.














More walking, off to an Aboriginal cultural centre but I reckoned I couldn't do it justice in half an hour. Over the road was one of the many parks that surround the CBD (city business district). Curiously, it had what looked like jumps for the cross country section of an equestrian 3 day event. Later, on consulting my little tourist booklet, I may have been right. I wandered off, at my recently acquired tourist dawdle and came across the rose garden. I proceeded to sniff my way round. I love the smell of roses, it takes me back to my childhood for some inexplicable reason.

And finally, I found the recommended pizza place. It was early but very pleasant. The pizza was good, the garlic bread scrummy and the chocolate mud pie wasn't bad either. I settled in with a bottle of wine, the local newspaper and the waiter to chat to!

Another good day. But the demons still attack at night :o(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home