Womble goes to Oz

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Day 26 A Town Called Alice

Before breakfast, I saw some blobs which may have been kangaroos in the now red background. I'll give a small prize to the person who correctly guesses what sort of animal I saw most of from the window of my temporary residence! And I'm not being difficult and counting insects, so no-one say ants or termites.

It was fascinating watching it all go by. Such a shame that as we neared Alice Springs the amount of rubbish visible on the trackside and in the nearby bush increased significantly.

Stepping off the air-conditioned train was a major shock to the system. 30+ Celsius!!!!! I've discovered that while the last hostel had pancakes for breakfast, this one has a pool!!!!! A small pool. But a pool! Bought some grub, ate it and then booked my Uluru tour for Monday. Wandered off in to town and discovered that it was shut. Well, it seems that Saturday closing time is 3pm, unless you're a supermarket, pub, ice cream place or gallery/shop place owned by nice white people. Sad again that the people hanging around the main street were Aboriginal, asking for money, trying to sell a picture done by a relative. There's a huge amount to be sorted out here. In the bottleshop, I witnessed some blatant racism by the chap behind the counter. Refusing to sell an Aboriginal couple a box of beers. He asked the woman if she'd been drinking, apparently she said yes so he wouldn't sell to them. The thing is, I'd exchanged a few words with them asking about something and the woman hardly spoke any English. With amazing dignity, they left quietly without a murmur of protest. I was bloody angry. And no, the man didn't ask if I'd been drinking - which I had.

Pottering about I found an estate agent's office with one of those time/temperature display things: the temperature was 35C.

Best be off now. I think someone else wants to use the pc. Very friendly place, I've also just been invited to join in a bbq. I thanked the chap and explained my odd dietary arrangements. I'll settle down with my beer and pasta I think.

Waltzing Matilda, waltzing.......

2 Comments:

  • I think I'll read A town like Alice again - a comfort read

    keep on training (I'm not)

    xx

    By Blogger beanz, at November 18, 2006 10:11 am  

  • It's funny, but suddenly I've seen lots of copies of the book in shops here! Can't even remember how much it relates to Alice Springs. I read the book in 6th form when I went through a period of reading lots of Nevil Shute.

    As for training, I'm flying today :o)

    By Blogger womble, at November 19, 2006 12:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home