Womble goes to Oz

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Day 27 I've moved again!

And now I'm at the Ayers Rock resort. Have even managed to sort the accommodation - again - so that I can stay in the same place for three nights (and a damn sight more cheaply than it was going to be). The flight from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock was about 35 minutes and bumpier than I like my flying experiences, thank you. However, I did have a big 'wow' factor feeling on seeing Uluru (Ayers Rock) from the air for the first time. I'm booked on a tour tomorrow to visit that and The Olgas (more rocks sticking out of the ground).

The bbq last night was good fun, although I didn't really join in as such on the eating bit. Seems like it was organised by the guests and they made their own burgers. Sat for quite a while chatting to a Swiss couple, drinking beer. Staying in backpackers' places is not only cheap but a very sociable way to holiday. Even here in Ayers Rock, three nights in a dorm, with toilets, showers, catering facilities, a tv room and a pool is only ~40GBP. That's $33 a night, whereas I've been paying around $20 or less.

In the meantime, as it's only ten past three on a Sunday afternoon, I suppose I should find the supermarket, bars, eating places and so on. Then I might have a dip in the pool, seeing as how it's so bliddddddddy hot!

It's a hard life but someone has to do it.

[edit a bit later, after a couple of beers]

Did the supermarket and I had salady stuff for my tea. Is everyone impressed? And I've been swimming..... Then I had some beer. I've eaten both my meals outside today.

6 Comments:

  • bag!!!!!!!!
    glad you are having a great time

    you deserve it

    By Blogger b-z, at November 19, 2006 10:53 pm  

  • Re the racism; did you know that right up to 1976 the Australian Govt ran "camps" for Aboriginal children - where by they were forcibly removed from their parents, transported to these camps and brought up as Christians and then forced to marry a white person with the aim that their race would eventually be eradicated? 1976 FFS!!!

    By Blogger Mx, at November 20, 2006 9:06 am  

  • not wuite true..... the aboriginal problem is not as simply a black andwhite issue. The beginning of 'difference'whith the clash of indigenous and eurpoean people and the use/ownership of land. The roots of desruction were planted and the depth of white european dominance was at its worse in the early 20th C. As a white australian I have alot to answer for but as for those who colonise and not learn also laid the path which I have trod. (remember india, america and others were colonised and similar probs arose....no one learns from the past.
    (I apoligise for 'getting on my high horse' but simplistic comments should not go unansered.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 20, 2006 9:58 am  

  • Thanks, anon. I think I know who you are and I'll see you soon :o))

    Yes, PM, unfortunately, I do know quite a lot about all the history. Not only from this visit but also from the last time I was downunder. And my friend anon and I feel very strongly about it all :o(

    By Blogger womble, at November 20, 2006 10:58 am  

  • The fact that the camps existed till 1976 is true, I'm afraid. The comment was not simplistic and I resent the implication that I don't know what I am talking about. Clearly it is an indepth situation with points of view from all sides. However, the camps did exist until then. That is a fact.

    By Blogger Mx, at November 20, 2006 11:05 am  

  • hmm, pools, beer and hot weather...? Are you SURE you're in Oz and not a Brit abroad in Europe somewhere..?

    (just kidding)

    I'm going to hide my green face now.

    :-D

    By Blogger Cath Delaney, at November 21, 2006 7:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home