Day 31 Thursday First Day in Perth Day
[Say that when you're pithed]
Slightly surprisingly, I got up a bit late. It was one of those "Fek how come it's that late?" moments. Like gone 11am late. I'd even managed to turn off the alarm on my phone without waking up! It is so peaceful around here and, as Paul pointed out, the first time I've slept in a quiet place for some time. After my brunch, we went into King's Park which was absolutely beautiful. It's got a huge amount of war memorials in it - avenues of gum trees with plaques in front of them remembering fallen young soldiers, little gardens, statues and so on. It's also on a hill with the most spectacular views over Perth. Stunning. Perth is the capital city of Western Australia (WA or 'Wait Awhile'), population just over a million. I'm staying in one of the posh bits called 'Nedland' (someone tell Loon?) and the area is called Hollywood locally! I believe there are walking paths which double up for something called running too. We did a bit of local shopping - I needed some more stamps if nothing else - and in the evening had a girls' night in.
We went to a friend of Paul's who she met on her teaching-English-as-a-second-language course. The warning I got beforehand was that Garby is a bit 'full on'. Hmmmm. Whatever you think of people this woman is a character! Zillions of hilarious stories. German, married to a Sri Lankan, with Swansea involved somewhere, two children and they're living in Perth. Even her dog is mad. She runs a business providing tour guides and so on. To ordinary people, rich people, and even celebrities. "I had to look up who Robbie Williams was" (as well as John Cleese) being one of the many funny quotes of the evening. As well as "Oh, it's the Rem band". So we had nibbles, takeaway pizza, aperitifs, beer and a damn good evening! Three mad women together. And I heard a kookaburra :D
Slightly surprisingly, I got up a bit late. It was one of those "Fek how come it's that late?" moments. Like gone 11am late. I'd even managed to turn off the alarm on my phone without waking up! It is so peaceful around here and, as Paul pointed out, the first time I've slept in a quiet place for some time. After my brunch, we went into King's Park which was absolutely beautiful. It's got a huge amount of war memorials in it - avenues of gum trees with plaques in front of them remembering fallen young soldiers, little gardens, statues and so on. It's also on a hill with the most spectacular views over Perth. Stunning. Perth is the capital city of Western Australia (WA or 'Wait Awhile'), population just over a million. I'm staying in one of the posh bits called 'Nedland' (someone tell Loon?) and the area is called Hollywood locally! I believe there are walking paths which double up for something called running too. We did a bit of local shopping - I needed some more stamps if nothing else - and in the evening had a girls' night in.
We went to a friend of Paul's who she met on her teaching-English-as-a-second-language course. The warning I got beforehand was that Garby is a bit 'full on'. Hmmmm. Whatever you think of people this woman is a character! Zillions of hilarious stories. German, married to a Sri Lankan, with Swansea involved somewhere, two children and they're living in Perth. Even her dog is mad. She runs a business providing tour guides and so on. To ordinary people, rich people, and even celebrities. "I had to look up who Robbie Williams was" (as well as John Cleese) being one of the many funny quotes of the evening. As well as "Oh, it's the Rem band". So we had nibbles, takeaway pizza, aperitifs, beer and a damn good evening! Three mad women together. And I heard a kookaburra :D

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home